Thursday, December 4, 2008

Chemo #1 - check Radiation #4 - check

Had my first chemo today. My appointment was for 8:30 but it was well after 9 before we got started. They initially led me to a chair in the big room but mentioned they had one private room left so I jumped on it. When you're there for 6 -7 hours it's nice to have a room to yourself. This room even had a bed in it so I was able to really relax. I think I prefer the lounger, though. The Powerport worked really well and when we were done the nurse said I could now leave it unbandaged and shower without covering it.

Darcy hung out with me all day and went to get lunch at noon. Then another friend dropped by later to keep us company. I brought work with me to try to finish getting things transferred at work but the morning meds they gave me [including Zofran, Ativan and Benadryl) made me pretty sleepy. I had company in the afternoon and I didn't want to ignore her so I didn't get anything done. I finished chemo about 2:40 and went down to the first floor where radiation is just to see if they had an opening. Lucky day! They were available right then so I got dressed and went right in. We were out of there before 3!

I'm feeling pretty good right now. I think the steroids have probably helped with the groin/leg pain so that's not bugging me at all this evening. I'm tired but feeling pretty good physically. I should start feeling pretty crappy by Saturday.

I did notice this afternoon that the skin at the top of my leg was feeling irritated. I asked the guys at radiation if they could show me the exact area they are zapping. I'm supposed to put aloe vera on the treated skin and I hadn't been doing the leg. They showed me a photo of the field and I was surprised at how far down the leg it goes. No more bikini line issues on the left side! (as if you'd ever catch me in a bikini!)

4 comments:

Mari said...

Did you say bikini?? YIKES!! You have two blog followers now. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Kathryn said...

Yay! Two followers! Good to hear from you.

Ashley M. Wells said...

I'm one of Darcy's freinds from work and I'll also be following your blog if that's all right. From your entries so far, it seems like you've gone through alot of hurdles so far for treatment. I think you are a very strong and brave woman. Anyway I'll keep watching and chiming in now and then.

Nancy said...

Holy Crap...6 or 7 hours!!
Humm, I can do tattoos and I can shave my head but wear a bikini...NEVER!!! : )