Friday, February 6, 2009

Spending the day in the hospital

It's been a long and a bit of a frustrating day so far. We got here before nine am because we were told to just head over after radiation. Got checked in but had to wait until almost noon for the chemo to start. That was two hours for the guy to come access my port, then another hour for the premeds to get started. So it's now 5pm and I'm waiting for the carboplatin to be brought up fom the pharmacy. Darcy and Melisa were here most of the day, but both are gone now at the critical moment when they start up on the carbo.

I guess the plan is to start with 1/1000 of the dose over 1.5 hours. If that goes well, it's 1/100 of the does over the same time frame. If things are fine, 1/10th of the dose over another 1.5 hours. Finally, the remainder over 12 hours. So the original plan to be out of here in the morning is shot. If there is a lengthy delay between each dose they probably won't start that last 12 hour session until very late tonight. That gets me out of here late morning at the earliest. Hopefully this works. When I had my somewhat mild reaction, the total dose was going in at a 1/2 hour rate. So from 30 minutes to 18 hours for that portion of the infusion.

I'll probably update later to let you know how things are going. Unless there is a major issue.



11:00pm update

Things have been going fine. I'm just getting ready to settle down for some sleep, I hope, when the last dose gets started. And just as I started this post, my left palm has started itching. I hope that isn't a sign of things to come. They have given me nothing for reactions since noon. No more decadron, no more benedryl, nothing for nausea. I had to have Darcy fetch my zofran from the car to take my prescribed oral dose. It's let up a little, but I will tell the nurse about it when she comes in the change the bag.

Wish me luck...

No comments: