Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Getting my mesh mask

I had my radiation set up appointment this afternoon. That was a very interesting process fitting the mask. First they positioned my head on this little block thing. Then I had to stay very still... no speaking even. I could only say uh-uh and unh-unh. That's hard when you've got your eyes closed and they're running you in and out of the CT machine.

Then when they have you positioned, they pull out this hot piece of "cloth" and pull it over your face. It opens up into mesh as they stretch it so there are lots of air holes to breathe through. Then they tuck in in tight around your eyes and nose and put a cold towel on it so that it hardens up in that position. Then they bolt it to the table and run you in and out of the machine again to see if they have you where they want you. I didn't mind the snug fit and the bolting to the table, but I don't like having my eyes closed so I can't tell what's going on. They did not talk to me much so I was losing track of how long I had been in there and was getting anxious to hear something by the end. Overall it wasn't so bad.

I have my schedule set up with the first "dry run" appointment on Tuesday and then real sessions begin Wednesday morning at 7:45. I decided to go with first thing in the morning and get it out of the way. I may be a little late to court in the mornings occasionally, but once I get there I can get on with a full day. Hopefully that will work better than going in the late afternoon. My last session should be March 4th if things stay on schedule.

I was actually pretty teary most of the day. Darcy left for California on a previously scheduled trip with a friend and it didn't make sense for her to cancel just to hold my hand today. She needs a break, too, probably more than I do, so I'm glad she got to get away. But I started crying when she left and I never really got over it until I went to radiation. It was good to be DOING something about it again. And the folks there are so positive it's contageous. :) It may have helped that I took an Ativan before I went. ;)

So now we have a battle plan and I can start ticking off the treatments. I expect things to get worse before they get better again, but I'll just take it a day at a time.

I'll try to get a picture of the mesh mask and get it posted. It's kind of cool, really.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

The process does sound cool...maybe they will let you keep the mask and turn it into art...kind of an I beat cancer AGAIN thing!!

Unknown said...

The mask thing sound so weird...something Sam or Caleb would love to play with! When you get well, you and Darcy need to come down and visit (I didnt think she like California, but maybe I am wrong)! You could come down for Pride in June! I would even let you stay in my apt., not that crazy hotel Golden Bear Inn like graduation! Love ya!

Catherine Jones McClarin said...

I like Nancy's idea of keeping the mask. Could you paint it ot decorate it? It could be a cool design piece that proclaims your title of Survivor. Crying is actually very good for your body so by all means cut loose whenever you feel the need. It will help the healing process!