Friday, January 16, 2009

Long Day of Chemo Today

It started with them not having me on the list to get treatment today. Fortunately we had shown up about 30 minutes early so it got straightened out and we actually got started a little early.

Everything went well through the Taxol. I think she was running the infusion rate a little slower than my last nurse did so it seemed like it took longer. We finally got the Carbo going about 3:15. That's a 30 minute infusion so I should have been done at 3:45. Darcy left just before they started to pick up my anti-nausea med from Group Health. About 15 minutes into the infusion I started to feel kind of funny. My right ear felt itchy inside, then my eyes felt a little ichy. I started feeling flushed and then my palms really started itching. I called for the nurse and told her what happened and 6 nurses came in an started me on oxygen, put a bunch more monitors on me and called my oncologist. He ordered the carbo stopped and ordered more benadryl, steroids and ativan. My heart rate got up to 133 beats per minute and my blood pressure went up to 138/110. After the steroids, things dropped back closer to normal for me. Soooo -- I didn't get out of there until almost 5pm.

So I think I'm done with the Carbo. I have no idea what he'll try next, but that's a little scary. I guess sometimes they will put you in the hospital and desensitize you to carbo, then continue with it, so I guess I can't rule that out entirely. She also said I may have a pretty good post chemo week given the lack of the full dose of carbo. Lets hope there is that one silver lining out of this.

Tha worst part was that we had planned having friends over for dinner at 4pm and we had to postpone. :(

No comments: