Saturday, August 28, 2010

Round Two: Carboplatin failure

Things were looking up at first for yesterday's round 2 of chemo. Blood tests showed things were back to normal. I got checked in and was allowed to leave to get breakfast since everyone knew it would be hours before things really got started. Then we relaxed in the family room until the phlebotomist arrived to access my port. Shortly after that the chemo was ready so we actually got it started around 1pm. At that rate I had a shot at an early morning release. I wasn't counting on it though because it seems something always happens.

Sure enough things were going swell until I was nearly done with my second bag of carboplatin about 8:15pm when my palms started itching and turned bright red. I called the nurse in and she shut off the flow and called the doc for the next steps. As time passed, my arms got red and itchy, and eventually my knees. They finally got some more steroids and benadryl in me and the itching and redness went away. After some discussion they decided to try to proceed with more steroids. We finished bag 2 and got 2/3s through bag three. I was trying to sleep but my scalp started itching badly. I sat up and turned on the light and within a minute my arms and face were bright red and itching. The nurse came in and shut off the flow. By the time she checked in with the doc I was red from head to toe... except for my hands. I even had some hives. No problems breathing though...fortunately. They got it under control but decided to stop the carbo for the night until the doc could see me in the morning.

So I at least got a good night's sleep without the frequent interuptions. I slept until 9, when Darcy got there, with just a couple early morning interuptions. We finally heard from the doc that we're stopping carboplatin and likely switching to cisplatin, but they couldn't do that today because my treating physician wasn't around to make the final decision. So I'll hear from them Monday on the next plan of attack, which may include a return to the hospital next week for the cisplatin.

No comments: