Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Radiologist appointment: Good news/Bad news

I saw my radiologist today to discuss treatment. Sounds like the location of the growth is in a bit different spot... more in the bony ring at the base of my left hip. Those are thin flexible bones designed to flex when you walk. As such, they are more delicate to treat but it is treatable with radiation. He believes the treatment will again stop the growth. The bad news is that I am likely to have chronic pain there for the rest of my life. Unlike the last treatment when the pain was alleviated by the radiation, it likely won't get any better. He was ready to sign a form for a permanent disabled parking permit, which took me aback a bit. He also thought about sending me for cyberknife treatment, but thought better of it. Most likely because he didn't think insurance would approve when regular radiation would do the same job.

So... treatment planning session on Friday, a week to put a plan together and radiation will commence about June 7th. This will be a lower/slower treatment, so it will be drawn out over 5 weeks, unlike the 3 weeks I did last time. He also thought there would be minimal side effects, just like last time. Another tidbit of good news.

No comments: