Friday, May 21, 2010

Latest CT Scan results -- Back to treatment I go

I was really expecting this, this time, but that doesn't make it any easier to actually hear it. For a full 14 months after finishing radiation to my hip I'd had no pain in my hip/groin at all. In February I pushed a big stack of carts at Costco into a holding bin and that evening started feeling that old ache in my groin. It got better after a while and when I had my March check-up the oncologist really felt around the groin area throroughly and didn't feel anything. Things kept feeling better until mid April when I really overdid it one weekend and my hip/groin got really sore again. It didn't really get any better and then it started getting kindof achy on top of that. I was scheduled to return for a regular check-up in June, but the persistent discomfort that was so similar to how it felt in November 2008 led me to call them up early for an early CT Scan. I had that done yesterday... got the results this morning.

The tumor in my hip is growing again. Apparently there's one in my right groin that has also grown a half centimeter, but I have no symptoms from that. My spleen is still stable and there is no new growth so that's all positive news. But I'm getting referred back for more radiation to the hip and will also get back on chemo once I finish the radiation. I'll be doing the taxol/carboplatin regimine again initially. If that doesn't work as well this time, he'll switch to another type. But I'll lose my hair either way. It'll be different being bald in the summer. Could be interesting. I'm considering dying my hair blue again right before it falls out. :)

1 comment:

Catharine said...

Kathryn - That really sucks. I hope the radiation and chemo beat it back this time as well as before.