Friday, April 10, 2009

MRI results

Got the news on the MRI from last Friday and it's not the best, but it's still pretty good news. She can't detect any shrinkage, but it has definitely stopped growing. The doctor said that if the radiation stops the growth that it will generally not resume growing for another 6 - 12 months. Initially she said she wanted to wait 4 months and MRI it again. After talking it through, she decided to MRI it in 2 months. If it's shrunk some, away from the optic nerve (which has been pushed off the the side quite a bit, she'll probably want to do the cyberknife treatment then since she could maximum dose it with less risk. If it's holding steady, she'll probably wait another 2 months. At least that was my understanding. Bottom line -- no more head radiation until June. Yay!

I asked her about the hip issues I've been having and she said there is definitely nothing in that area in the Jan CT scan so it's hard to say what's going on. The CT scan on Monday might be able to say what the problem is. I have NO problems at all with the groin area that was bothering me BEFORE radiation and chemo. I have just been having some "tightness" in my glutemous maximous area. I've also been having more pain after being in bed for about 4 hours instead of the usual 6 hours. My the morning, my side is really achy. So I suspect the spleen thing may be the real problem. I just started taking megace on Saturday and that tends to have a lot of side effects so I wonder if it could be related to that.

So, by Wednesday I'll hopefully have a fuller picture of where I'm at. I'm really hoping for a break from chemo. I'd like to see some hair back now that the weather is warming up. The hat is getting HOT. I feel bad that such a small consideration -- hair -- is my focus when finding effective treatment should be my priority. :)

So now we wait until Wednesday to see what to do about the hip and the spleen tumors.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know Kathryn, I'm guessing hats are more fun that chemo and radiation. They sound like a good thing to focus on. :)