Friday, November 21, 2008

Biopsy Results

I got the results this afternoon. It is a recurrance. It was actually a relief to hear that just because I had been so worried it was a serious lymphoma. At least I know what I'm dealing with here and it is a slow growing cancer. On the other hand, slow growing cancers do not respond as well to chemo and my prior treatment did not irradicate it so it seems like it is still something that I will be dealing with for the rest of my life. That's also depressing, but if I can get long remissions between bouts of chemo I'll take that over the alternative.

The treatment plan is firming up, but surgery or no surgery is still up in the air. My oncologist is taking my case before the "tumor board" for discussion next Wednesday and they will let me know then if I will do the surgery. If so, that will happen on December 4th. If no surgery, I start chemo December 4th. Chemo will be taxol/carboplatin again... the same combo I did in 2003-4, on a three week cycle. Not fun, but mostly just around the days 3 - 5 after the infusion. The rest of the time I was fatigued, but wasn't sick. I don't know how much worse the radiation will make it. I meet with the radiation oncologist on Tuesday. If no surgery, I expect that will start the first week in December as well.

And if no surgery, I will try to work as much as I can between treatments. I will be in a division that allows a more flexible work schedule and I can stop working with less trouble if I need to do that, too.

I have felt much better the last couple days except for the stress of waiting for the news. I didn't get alot of sleep again the night of the biopsy because the incisions were uncomfortable, but the following night I got a full night of sleep and felt good on Thursday -- with only an occasional Tylenol for painkillers. Another good night last night and no pain today. The incisions are really healing nicely. The skin irritation from the tape is the worst part.

Now I plan to enjoy as much as I can of the next 9 days of feeling pretty good. :)

No comments: